Diabetes also known as Diabetes Mellitus is a very common endocrine disease that causes high blood sugar levels. It is divided into 3 categories, Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes and Gestational diabetes. All over the world, most of the cases are of type 2 diabetes. If it is untreated or poorly treated, it can lead to death.
Diabetes is the 7th leading cause of death in the US. More than 133 million Americans are living with diabetes (37.3 million) or prediabetes (96 million).
According to national diabetes statistics report:
• Total: 37.3 million people have diabetes (11.3% of the US population)
• Diagnosed: 28.7 million people, including 28.5 million adults
• Undiagnosed: 8.5 million people (23.0% of adults are undiagnosed)
• Total: 96 million people aged 18 years or older have prediabetes (38.0% of the adult US population)
• 65 years or older: 26.4 million people aged 65 years or older (48.8%) have prediabetes
Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed by simple lifestyle changes.
The following are some lifestyle changes you can adopt for prevention of the disease.
1. EAT HEALTHY FOOD
- Take good number of vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Avoid food which are high in sugar and fat.
- Take a look on your carbohydrate intake.
2. BE PHYSICALLY ACTIVE EVERY SINGLE DAY
- Regular physical activity helps our body to use insulin efficiently.
- Little bit of exercise daily can change your life.
3. REDUCE YOUR BODY WEIGHT
- Obesity is one of the main causes of diabetes.
- Slowly and steadily, one can achieve their weight loss goals.
4. AVOID TOBACCO SMOKING
- Smoking is also related to risk of diabetes.
- So, avoid smoking is like avoiding the risk of diabetes.
5. FAMILY HISTORY
- Take a close look at your family history for the diabetes if someone in your family is diabetic, you also have the risk of developing it.
- So little research about your family history can save you from a life threatening disease. After finding it out, you can easily modify your lifestyle slowly and steadily according to it.
Diabetes is a chronic disease which is a major cause of loss of eye vision, kidney failure, heart attacks, strokes and lower limbs amputation. For avoiding any kind of major cause, we can simply modify our lifestyle and increase our life expectancy age. People having diabetes can take advantages of education about the diseases and its treatment, how to change your lifestyle after the diabetes, daily exercises and many things which can helps you to stay fit.